Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thank Your Mentor Day

Take a moment to think about who cared for you when you were growing up.  Was it a teacher?  A coach?  A caring neighbor? Perhaps an uncle or aunt?  Or a grandparent? Every child needs at least one caring adult to help them navigate the murky waters of childhood and the teen years.  Who helped you by believing in you?  Cheering you on in your sports or hobbies, encouraging you to work hard at school, letting you know that you matter and that you can achieve your goals in life.  I remember a kind older lady who lived down the street who always came over at Christmas and who just spent time with us when my brother & I were kids.  I also remember several teachers at school and instructors in my hobbies/sports who made a special effort to let me know they saw potential in me.  Without them I wouldn't be who I am today.

Who was your mentor? Have you ever thanked them for being so supportive of you? Now's your chance!  Thursday January 16th is National Thank Your Mentor Day.  

Think about the mentors in your life, send them a thank you card (scroll down to 3rd row to download & print) and tell them thank you on social media using #SomeoneWhoMatters. For more information on this initiative and National Mentoring Month - go to http://www.nationalmentoringmonth.org/

To become a mentor to youth in Dakota County, attend an information session on Thursday Jan. 23rd, 6-6:45 pm at Burnhaven Library in Burnsville. Learn more about Kids 'n Kinship, the local mentoring program serving youth in Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Farmington, Lakeville, & Rosemount for over 40 years: www.kidsnkinship.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment